Monday, February 21, 2011

Our weekend:


What fun we have together over the weekend, the weather was pretty foul in Hobart and we even woke up to snow on the mountain this morning, so our activities were limited.
We had a little pup recovering from the snip; trying to keep a 6 month old German Shepherd quiet is easier said than done! Poor little girl kept looking underneath her to see if something was biting her.
We went shopping for an oven, and after much debate, settled back to a fairly standard oven and cooktop, with the realisation that when we do mass catering events we would tend to use a BBQ. We decided to invest in a BBQ with a side burner and the capability to do rotisserie (this is highly exciting for Rob) rather than a huge oven that we would have to heat up all the time for the two of us.
We went and sat inside the hut and looked out the windows at the rain (what a novelty).
We baked a white chocolate and almong cake with cumquat marmalade. Hmm still in the testing phase that one.
Last night we won this little beauty on ebay. I was a little excited I have to admit, hunched over the iPad counting down the auction time and relaying the bid amounts. I think Rob and Claudia thought I had lost it. Maybe I had. I really wanted this little myrtle bedside as it matched our sideboard.

The highlight culinary wise was a vegetable stir fry, with the veg we'd picked up on Saturday morning at the very soggy Salamanca stalls. After a week of over-indulgence at the meeting it was nice to eat real food that still tasted like vegetables!
P.S. Still working on getting the photo exchange sorted. Should have some pretty pics of windows soon.

5 comments:

Susan Moore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan Moore said...

Oops! Sorry :-) Ah the challenges of trying to keep a puppy and older dog 'quiet' after an operation, when all they want to do is hurtle around the yard... hope Claudia is back to normal soon. The dogs have been sleeping inside here this week, as the rain has been pelting in from the east instead of the usual south-west, leaving their sleeping area very wet.

George Biron said...

Hi I love the progress shots, Also a fan of Fred Wards and have a few bits of his work. I think the wood is Queensland Maple? I could be wrong but the tables here in the restaurant dining room are Myrtle Beech made from a log leftover at our local mill for about 50 years and look a bit different to the Myer Heritage range.

Marian Hazel said...

Hello George- thanks for stopping by. I haven't put up our latest ebay find- a beautiful dresser with a mirror that matches this. I think we now have nearly all our furniture sorted- the hut isn't very large! Having become a Fred Ward fan in the last year, I've read quite a bit. These pieces are Tasmanian myrtle, although he did also make furniture in Queensland maple. These pieces have a stain that does make them look a slightly different colour to myrtle. I will have to come and visit Sunnybrae restaurant to see your dining table- and have lunch. I have been meaning to ever since I bought Stephanie's book "A shared table" and saw your recipe for nokedli. My mother is Hungarian and I have very fond memories of helping her and my grandmother cook them.

George Biron said...

Its very exciting to read how a house is built Sunnybrae has been a work in progress for over 30 years I share your feelings. Every piece of furniture art and plants here have been carefully chosen and define a time and place and all the people related to that time. The Fred Ward furnituire is in our small Melb flat designed by Fredrick Romberg at the time when Ward was starting out and has links to the begginings of moderne design in Melbourne just before during and after the war. I scour the auctions and markets [not too seriously or too obsessively] Links to early modernism are still affordable and as you know still emerge in op shops and cheap sales. I love finding something and then researching its origins and seeing how it fits into the story.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...