Sunday, February 23, 2014

8/52

I know my blogging has slowed down a bit since Christmas. Words swirl around inside my head, but I rarely find a moment to commit them to the screen, and often by the time I do I have moved on from the emotions I felt at the time.

I can say that this past week I have felt very tired. In fact, it seemed more difficult than the previous week when Rob was away and I was on my own with the girls. Perhaps I expected this week to be easier. Rob often quotes to me, "expectation is the path to disappointment", and perhaps I shouldn't expect the work/home/commuting/parenting gig just to fall into place after a certain number of weeks.

Weariness let doubt creep in. Doubt about how I was doing at work. Doubt about how I handled cluster feeding all night long. Doubt about ways we could fix it.

Friday was a day at home for me, so I did the bare minimum, fed and cleaned up the babies. Skipped a shower for myself and just rested as often as I could. I even managed to get both girls to settle themselves to sleep in their cots for a long afternoon nap. Instead of rushing off to do something, or look at my phone, I followed suit and rested on the bed too.

I know I'll look back one day and will struggle to remember what I thought was so hard. But in the midst of it, that day seems a very long way away indeed.

Ok back to the photos. I have wanted to take photos of the girls in the bath during the day because of the way the light bounces of the tiles and the bath itself. We are lucky that they seem to enjoy bath time at the moment.

 photo DSC_8004_zpsf1286db1.jpg
 photo DSC_8008_zps62e1a42a.jpg
Maggie: No matter how many times we pour water over her head, she still expresses some surprise and distaste for the situation!
Elisabeth: I love the sweetness in her expression as she looks at what Maggie is up to.

Joining in with the 52 portrait project at Jodi's blog Practising Simplicity.

4 comments:

Offer KINDNESS. Choose GENEROSITY. Give LOVE! said...

Ohhhh Marian I hear you on these emotions.
I (& your family of fellow parents) understand.
One day we will look back and wonder but its so exhausting trying to mix and balance it all.
I think you are doing amazing, and the happiness that M & E have shows you and Rob are top notch parents!
LOVE the bigger photos. What beautiful light in the tubs.
Remember, if you can make it through those first 100 days you can do ANYTHING while on this planet.
Stay positive and rested.
We can only do so much in a day, all the chores can wait right!
Have a beautiful wknd. HUGS to the little loves.

Anonymous said...

I love all your photos, but particularly love that one of Maggie with the water over her head. So gorgeous - especially those big eyes! Hope you get to catch up on some rest soon - parenting can definitely be a tough gig x

Rachael said...

'My' gorgeous girls!

jen said...

what beautiful girls.. and those eyes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...