Sunday, April 7, 2013

Babymoon

Autumn is our favourite time of year in Tasmania. Clear blue skies, the weather can still be warm and sunny, but the evenings are chilly enough for warm blankets, ugg boots and snuggling up in the hut. The light has a golden quality to it. We have planted a number of deciduous trees so we wait to see their leaves change. Our menu changes to our favourite comfort foods, curries, braises and roasts. Rob's favourite fruits are ripening: coxes orange pippin apples, quinces and Comice pears. It seems perfect that although the girls were born at the beginning of the hottest summer in over 100 years, we have brought them home as the seasons change over for our babymoon at the hut.
I remember reading about Jodi's, of Che & Fidel (sorry no link can't figure that out on the phone blogger app), babymoon after the birth of her daughter Poet. At the time I thought what a lovely idea, and parked the idea in the back of my mind. So here we are day 5 and despite living on maybe 6 very broken hours of sleep a night, Rob and I are smitten. So are Nigella & Claudia. I knew we were ready last Monday and am so glad I pushed for us to get roomed out and home. We are getting to know our girls little quirks, snuggling, napping, dealing with wet nappies and clothes, feeding them 3 different dietary supplements, and the associated spills. The girls, we think, are beautiful, we delight in their little smiles, their wide-eyed interest in their new home and fur-sisters.
I admit I still cry silent tears sometimes, thinking about how far away their homecoming seemed when the girls were born. How scared we both were that we may not bring both or any babies home. I am present and drinking it in, despite the brain fog that hangs over me. Rob is a dear, keeping me well fed, and letting me nap first in those few moments when the girls are both asleep. I woke up the other night at 11pm after crashing on the bed, and he was sitting next to the cot in our room, holding a dummy in each mouth while playing calming music on the iPad, apparently both Maggie & Elisabeth had been crying whilst a few metres away I slept soundly. I love watching him snuggle them, his broad hands hold them just right.
I best go, a wee babe needs feeding, and if I'm lucky I may get time for a shower afterwards!






14 comments:

Violet said...

Beautiful post.

Sarah B said...

I'm really very very happy for you all x

picsnapper said...

Just beautiful :-)

Unknown said...

Congratulations. They are beautiful and I am so very happy you have them home now. Enjoy.

ally said...

I'm so so glad that you're all home safely and happily together
Enjoy the beautiful autumn
x

Offer KINDNESS. Choose GENEROSITY. Give LOVE! said...

And it only gets better and better!
Lovely lovely!
XO to those littles.
Sleep when ya can, and you already know that.
:)

Mel said...

Gorgeous photos - your babies are lovely. Congrats on finally having them at home.

Mel @ Coal Valley View said...

They're SO precious!!! I had a big silly grin on my face the whole way through reading your post - I'm just so happy for you both, especially now you are all home together. Mel xxx

Anonymous said...

They are so sweet! Happy to hear you guys are home xo

Claire Chadwick @ Scissors Paper Rock said...

These two girls make me smile.
Enjoy those beautiful {sleep deprived} early days. LOTS OF LOVE Mumma xoxox

Dee said...

Beautiful girls.
So lovely to see them at home with you both and the dogs.
Enjoy xx

tea with lucy said...

Doubly scrumptious!!

Elliot has declared that he would like twins after seeing these photos.

Enjoy these special days.

rachel xo

Daffodil Daze said...

Thank you for sharing them with us - they are beautiful bubba's. Your words about Rob made me teary. Congratulations and enjoy your babymoon xxx

Nicolette Gawthrop said...

So lovely. I've been following on IG, since before the girls came and it's so wonderful to see them home. Also, I love reading your writing and think you are just lovely yourself

Xoxo
Nicolette
Ozarkmamadeer.blogspot.com
Fayetteville, AR, USA

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...